Monday, January 3, 2011

Character Building

To build good characters for your story, you must look at the mirror image of yourself. looking at yourself is something we all need to do to make believable characters in our stories we write. Today I have been doing some research about how to build good believable characters for my stories. You need to look into depth and think about the main character of your story.

A character first of all must be believable by the reader. You must connect the characters with the readers you want to attract. I want my stories to attract the young adults of this world. So I believe that to reach them, you must think like a child. Not a young child, but the age range I want to attract to read my stories. My goal and aim is to get the young adults to read and feel like the main character is their friend. They understand what the main character is going through.

With each character, you need to know what their going through, what makes them tick and how they act around their friends and families. What they feel, want and goals are. I know most my characters are strong in either mind, body or soul. Something they have all three elements.

A base for a Character build:
Full name, nickname, age, appearance(style of dress), education, occupation, relationships(family, friends), likes and dislikes, hobbies, talents, strengths and weaknesses, ethnic background, special characteristics, nervous habits, health issues(asthma, diabetes. etc), favorite saying, fears and goals, favorite saying, eating habits etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment