Thursday, December 22, 2011

Childhood + ? = Writing Career

I'm a member of a few writing groups on Yahoo Groups. As you can tell by the title of this blog it's my writing blog. I got the title of this post from a person who writes on a blog with many other writers. I thought to myself this is a good thing to post about. Just today has been rather mixed. My partner is having trouble health wise and I want to write on the story we are both doing this Christmas.

I have several projects I'm working on right now. The thing is how my childhood relates to my writing. When I was in England. I was born in Ireland, but raised by my family in the south east of England. My parents divorced when I was four. Mother blamed me for everything after that date for my father leaving, my grandfather and Uncle David for abusing me and my brother Ian. Mother never listened to us. So the abuse went on for years. Plus things like being locked outside during a thunder storm as a child and teen. Being refused food when the family was eating.

Anyhow, I was sent to boarding school on the south east coastline in Margate, Thanet, England. My boarding school was a few minutes from the lovely sandy beaches of Thanet. I made some good friends. Some taught me how to read as I couldn't at this stage. Taryn, Caroline, Nikki, Lorraine and Kerry became my best friends while in school.

Taryn would read my poetry and say I was a good writer. I found writing poetry was a way to express my emotions and thoughts I hid deeply inside.  She showed my journal and poetry to our English teacher and Mrs Telfer said I had amazing talent. I never believed her. It also never stopped me writing. I was fifteen when I left school and had to live with my family.

Taryn would rescue me daily to spend time with her and we soon found we had a lot in common. Now she is in heaven with my Nana Lily. Plus my MIL Barbie is up there. She died last month. She was another one who told me I had talent. I have written a lot of poetry, dark depressing at times, but some light ones. I now written three novels, for MG/YA christian stories. I will keep writing till I am good at grammar and punctuation. I do need to improve them a little.

I hope one day, I can publish some poetry or one my novels. I just found since October 2005 I've been writing as a full time career move. I'm disabled and have many health issues. I write to relax and get emotions out. I just feel so alive when I write.

This is the reason I write, what is yours?

2 comments:

  1. You write beautiful poetry, Raven. Very moving. I wish I had the first clue how to write a poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx... You write what you can write. Sometimes It comes, sometimes it doesn't come... it's the way writing is to me...

      Delete