Friday, December 30, 2011

Poem - Promised

A tear dropped.
I tumbled to my knees.
My face skyward.
Looking at the stars above me.
I thought clearly.
"How could you do this? How could you take her from me?"
My heart ached.
I gasped for breath.
The words rang in my ear, repeating over and over again.
"She's gone.....her fight..wasn't strong enough."
Questions on the tip of my tonge.
Why her? Why now? What did I do to deserve such pain?

Memories of us together flashed by my eyes.
One straight after another.
Tears were bleeding down my face.
I remembered times when she held my hand told me everything would be alright. We could fight this world together. We could be scared together. We would be together forever.

I could see the sky darken.
Clouds tumbling in.
It didn't sprinkle it poured.
It poured just like my tears poured down my face.
I looked down.
Below my foot was a sharp jagged rock.
I picked it up.
I touched it to my skin. Amemory so vivid. Past by my eyes.


She was leaning in close. She held my hand close to hers face and whispered "Promise me that no matter what happens. No matter what the future holds for us. You will never harm yourself. You wont ever take such a risk with your life again."
I remembered the tender beautiful kindness in her eyes.
The love.
I bowed my head close to her ear and whispered "I promise. No matter what happens."

The memory gone. 
I looked toward the sky again.
Soaked from the rain.
I whispered "I promise"
Another hot tear skidded down my face.
The rock dropped and forgotten about.
I wept.
Knowing I could never brake such a promise.
Knowing I had to fight......Alone. 

1 comment: